The DAAD designed its Helmut Schmidt Program (Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance) to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of Good Governance and to prepare them in a praxis- oriented course for their professional life.
The program offers excellent graduates with a first university degree the chance to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political and economic development of their home country. With the knowledge and experience acquired in Germany the scholarship holders should later contribute to the establishment of democratically oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social tensions. In addition, the training at German institutions of higher education should especially qualify the scholarship holders as partners in political and economic cooperation with Germany.
With this program, DAAD intends to contribute to the support of Good Governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions.
The DAAD Scholarship covers:
- MPM tuition fees
- 750€/month for living expenses
- A health insurance
- A six-month German course
- Travel allowances
- Study and research subsidies
- Upon application: rent subsidies and/or family allowances
The 18-month MPM Helmut Schmidt Program includes:
- A six-month German course (commencing April)
- 12 months of MPM modules including a Study Tour and the writing and defending of a Master Thesis (commencing October)
- Networking events like a Summer School and an Orientation Seminar for all Helmut Schmidt scholarship holders at German universities