- Higher education degree in social sciences, economics, business management or law
- Proficiency in English proven by an internationally recognized English language test, i.e. TOEFL Test (minimum score IBT 80 or PBT 550 or CBT 220), IELTS (minimum average 6.5) and Cambridge Advanced Certificate (CAE)
- Minimum 2-3 years of relevant work experience in public administration, private sector or NGOs
- Citizenship of a country eligible for the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme. Please find a detailed list here.
The following groups are not eligible:
- Applicants who obtained their most recent higher education degree more than six years before submitting their application.
- Applicants who have resided in a country that is not included in the DAC list of developing and emerging countries for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline.
Applicants who already hold a master's degree in a similar discipline can only be considered in well-justified cases, if they can explain conclusively, why they would like to obtain another master's degree.
Please note that the application forms cannot be filled out online. You will have to download the forms, save them, fill them out, save them again and send them back to us. Otherwise, you cannot save the contents.
Please note that we only accept electronically filled-out application forms. Application forms filled-out by pen cannot be considered.
Attach the following documents:
- A gap-free curriculum vitae (if possible, please use the europass template available at europass.cedefop.europa.eu) with exact information about your studies, political/social involvement, and any work experience, as well as the current date and your signature.
- Degree certificates of all University degrees (certified translation if necessary, including an explanation of the grading system)
- Transcripts of academic records of all University degrees including grading system and certified translation if necessary.
- Working time certificates for any listed internships, volunteer work and work experience must be included. These must be signed and bear the date, letterhead and stamp
- One professional letter of recommendation, preferably from your current employer or from a university lecturer, bearing a signature, letterhead and stamp (not in a sealed envelope)
- Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate, minimum score see above)
- Letter of motivation (1-2 pages), dated and signed, which should cover the following questions:
- Why did you decide to study the Master of Public Management (MPM)?
- Which specialization module are you particularly interested in and why?
- What are your career goals and why is this program beneficial for you to achieve these goals?
- A copy of your passport
Please note that all documents (including transcripts and degree certificates) have to be submitted in English.
Please submit your application as two separate PDF documents:
PDF 1: DAAD form (the form has to be filled electronically and signed originally. The picture can be sent separately.)
PDF 2: All other required documents merged into one PDF file (letters of recommendation may be submitted separately). Please note that we do not accept applications consisting of more than three separate files.
Please submit your application to application[at]ppgg.mpm-potsdam.de
For further questions about the MPM program and the application process please check our FAQ section.